On Monday, May 9, OIT will require Shibboleth authentication to log in to Google Workspace.
As a result, NC State Unity account holders will use Duo Security instead of Google 2-Step Verification to authenticate to Google Workspace. A two-step login process, Duo is currently used to protect university web applications that use Shibboleth authentication, such as the MyPack Portal, WolfWare and PeopleAdmin.
- Continues to streamline the university’s two-factor authentication (2FA) services.
- Makes 2FA enrollment and enforcement consistent across the majority of IT services.
Impact to Users
- Users will be prompted with a login requiring Shibboleth at the end of their 14-day login session for their browser or computer.
- Users’ mobile apps and third-party clients will maintain access to Google Workspace accounts until a password change.
- Intentionally clearing cache and cookies for any reason will force a new service login.
- A password change will require a new Duo authentication to Shibboleth-protected services.
Accounts that will continue to use Google Two-Step include: